Six years have gone by and we have once again, been asked to add more to a mural…this time to add life with a wedding party and field workers etc. It was great to come back to a work after a period of time!The photos are attached here
I was commissioned to apply a faux burl on the metal dashboard and the window frames of a 1931 Plymouth Rumble Seat Coupe recently. Here are the photos in sequence:
I finished with spar varnish to help protect the work from the UV rays. Part of my payment was a ride, or better yet, to drive this old beauty. It runs pretty darn good for being so old!
We used the same base color on the ceiling as the walls which makes a harmony in this kitchen finish. Shown here is transferring the graphic using a pounce drawing method of charcoal on the tiny holes of the drawing. This transfers the design and is then taped out for the glazing operation.
These photos show the pattern taped out and we used the base paint color to paint the edges so that if anything leaks under the tape, it will be the same color. No cleaning up lines this way. Then when dry, we stipple the glaze color inside the lines. This is the same glaze used for one of the glaze coats used on the walls.
The final product – Once the tape was removed there was hardly any clean up to do which is nice because taping out the lines is quite tedious work. But the end result is very rewarding.
Current project – Wood table painted to a faux Breche Violet marble top and Wax resist rubbed antiqued base and legs :
This wood table has been routed on the edges for a more authentic marble look; Cleaned, full primed in bin ; Troweled in Kalcaustico ( a Venetian Plaster material ) and wet sanded for a supremely smooth surface which also has the cold touch of marble rather than the warmth of wood. The wood base has been prepared for painting in an antiqued rubbed finish which you’ll see towards the end of this series of photos.That finish will be an esspresso coloring with warm red under tones.
Here the top has been wet sanded then base coated in white shellac and wet sanded again. It is Really smooth! The structure of the Breche Violet marble is laid in. Also the first esspresso top coat is applied but not rubbed yet.
Long shot of finished marble top before the varnishing is applied which is going to be five layers of water based poly from Benjamin Moore floor finish, wet sanded between coats. No sense losing that super smooth finish Now!
Finish applied and delivered to home. The smaller chairs are finished in same coloring as the base of table and the arm chairs are finished in a crackled heavily distressed finish.
another shot of finished table top